The team at JMZ Roof Restorations have seen a lot of different roofs in our time from tiled, terracotta and metal and in all kinds of condition. In this blog we discussed the common problems with tiled roofs and how you can maintain and improve your tiled house.
Australian’s love tiled roof homes because they can withstand most of the harsh weather conditions from our country. A roof repair or restoration is a great solution to keep your tiles in tip-top shape, and that’s where the team at JMZ Roof Restorations can help.
8 Common Problems With Tiled Roofs
As your home deteriorates and ages over time, there are 8 common problems we find with tiled roofs;
- Broken roof tiles – From weathering, ground movement or even walking on the roof. Broken tiles are common and can lead to water leaks during rainfall.
- Broken ridgecapping – A combination of age, ground movement and poor pointing materials used in the initial construction of your roof generally leave ridgecaps open to potential leak issues.
- Bedding and pointing – Cement pointing is a combination of sand and cement that was once a common bonding agent used in roofing ages. Over time it breaks down with ground movement and weathering. Flexible pointing is now available as a replacement.
- Broken tile clips – Tile clips are known to commonly break and as they do, become clogged causing blockages and a free flow of water.
- Valley clips – These are known to break, causing tiles in the valleys to slip and as a result can lead to water leaks.
- Sarking – The foil designed to reduce the transmission of moisture which acts as a home’s second skin to protect from weather. As this ages it can tear or be damaged from other trades working in or on your roof.
- Valley irons – A gutter system installed during construction of a home where 2 roofs meet. These can be found to be installed not wide enough and during heavy rainfall, cannot cope with the volume of water.
- Valley seal – A foam product designed to prevent water entering the roof cavity during heavy rainfall can deteriorate over a long period and needs to be replaced.
How to Maintain Your Tiled Roof
Keeping your roof in its best condition is simple. Make sure you inspect the roof regularly to check for any of the problems listed above. Also keep an eye out for any debris, especially after a storm and clear away any leaves or branches.
If you notice any problems with your roof or it needs maintaining, contact the team at JMZ Roof Restorations. We specialise in Tiled Roof Repairs and Tiled Roof Restorations.
Remember – Most Home and contents insurance companies will not cover damages to your roof if general maintenance has been neglected by the homeowner, so it’s best to get professional service on your home.
Tiled Roofs with JMZ Roof Restorations
Keep the roof over your family’s head in the best condition and give the team at JMZ Roof Restorations a call today. We are a family owned and operated business who pride ourselves in providing professional and honest advice.
JMZ Roof Restorations is a family owned and operated company which began almost 30 years ago.
We believe in our quality products and workmanship which is why JMZ has a 10-year warranty on all work and materials for roof restorations.
We have built a solid reputation by helping thousands of happy homeowners add value and protect their properties over a couple of decades. To find out more about JMZ Roof Restorations, give the team a call on 1300 76 00 76 or visit our showroom at 104 Bloomfield Street, Cleveland, Queensland.