Do you have signs of a leaking ceiling or roof? Sooner or later it is going to happen; weather or prolonged heavy rain may reveal your roof or ceilings overall condition. This will most likely appear in the form of a leak or crack. Being able to identify the cause is imperative to avoid extensive damage that could cost you thousands of dollars.So what may be causing this?
The main perpetrator for leaks and cracks is simply an old roof that hasn’t been maintained. Over time, roofing materials deteriorate from continual expansion and contraction, and extreme weather conditions. The fierce Aussie sun can cause tiles to become brittle, and steel roof surfaces can buckle in the heat eventually allowing rainwater to enter through the gaps.
If you have recently installed a skylight (either DIY or through a contractor) this could also be a contributor to the cause. Improper installation of a skylight can cause long-term damage to your ceiling by allowing moisture and condensation to occur over time.
Another possibility could be your gutters over flowing with organic debris. A blocked channel can cause rainwater meant for the drains to spill over and cause damage to your roof or ceiling.
All of these issues are difficult for the novice DIY homeowner to fix, and improper repairs can cause even further damage. This is why it’s best to leave it to the experts and call in a professional.
JMZ Roof Restoration specializes in roof restoration, roof repairs, and roof maintenance treatments. We will make sure these issues don’t occur again in the future with regular maintenance check ups and expert advice you can trust. Call JMZ today on 1300 76 00 76 or click here for a quote today.
The roof is such a large and important part of the home’s structural integrity. An investment in restoration services ensures your home will be protected and will bring your roof back to life again. Care and maintenance after a roof restoration will extend the life of the roof restoration and ensure you don’t void any warranties through misuse or neglect.
Top tips in protecting your roof after having a roof restoration include:
- Inspect the roof regularly to ensure it is in good condition. Ideally an inspection should be conducted twice a year. Avoid walking on the roof where possible. It is advised to ensure the right equipment is always used such a firmly braced ladder and the correct safety equipment used.
- Check guttering and ensure it is free of any leaves or other debris. It’s important to always ensure your guttering and downpipes are working effectively to ensure water is being drained away from the roof. Blocked water can cause mould and algae to grow. Remove anything trapped and ensure all drainage is in good working order.
- Keep trees maintained that are around the home. Branches should be well trimmed and kept well away from the house to avoid leaves and branches falling onto the roof and into guttering.
- Check the integrity of flashings around chimneys, vents, skylights.
- Carry out regular roof cleaning to maintain its surface. With any roof cleaning make sure you adhere to the recommended cleaning procedures provided by the roof restoration company, ensure the suitability of cleaning materials used, and do not use any harsh equipment that may scratch or damage the roof surface. Any sheltered areas of the roof that are not cleaned by rainfall will need particular attention to control growth of organic material.
- Pest and animal droppings can be problematic for paint, particularly if acidic. Remove any build up of bird, bat or animal droppings.
- A maintenance application of paint after a period of around ten years is advisable to once again restore the roof’s lustre.
Your roof restoration will last a long time if well maintained. By following these recommendations in caring for your resurfaced roof you will ensure it is maintained in prime condition for many years to come and your warranty will remain effective. For additional information on roof restoration requirements contact JMZ Roofing, click here.