The roof is such a large and important part of the home’s structural integrity. An investment in restoration services ensures your home will be protected and will bring your roof back to life again. Care and maintenance after a roof restoration will extend the life of the roof restoration and ensure you don’t void any warranties through misuse or neglect.
Top tips in protecting your roof after having a roof restoration include:
- Inspect the roof regularly to ensure it is in good condition. Ideally an inspection should be conducted twice a year. Avoid walking on the roof where possible. It is advised to ensure the right equipment is always used such a firmly braced ladder and the correct safety equipment used.
- Check guttering and ensure it is free of any leaves or other debris. It’s important to always ensure your guttering and downpipes are working effectively to ensure water is being drained away from the roof. Blocked water can cause mould and algae to grow. Remove anything trapped and ensure all drainage is in good working order.
- Keep trees maintained that are around the home. Branches should be well trimmed and kept well away from the house to avoid leaves and branches falling onto the roof and into guttering.
- Check the integrity of flashings around chimneys, vents, skylights.
- Carry out regular roof cleaning to maintain its surface. With any roof cleaning make sure you adhere to the recommended cleaning procedures provided by the roof restoration company, ensure the suitability of cleaning materials used, and do not use any harsh equipment that may scratch or damage the roof surface. Any sheltered areas of the roof that are not cleaned by rainfall will need particular attention to control growth of organic material.
- Pest and animal droppings can be problematic for paint, particularly if acidic. Remove any build up of bird, bat or animal droppings.
- A maintenance application of paint after a period of around ten years is advisable to once again restore the roof’s lustre.
Your roof restoration will last a long time if well maintained. By following these recommendations in caring for your resurfaced roof you will ensure it is maintained in prime condition for many years to come and your warranty will remain effective. For additional information on roof restoration requirements contact JMZ Roofing, click here.